Unitrends provides backup appliances, backup software, and cloud data protection that leverage cutting edge technology to automate manual tasks, eliminate management complexity, and deliver tested hardware and software resilience. The Unitrends backup software identifies and resolves software issues that threaten backup and recovery before they happen. Unitrends backup appliances help IT administrators save more time on data backups. Its intuitive management console lets you quickly and easily search, filter, manage and recover thousands of backups.
- Unitrends provides ultra-low-cost secondary cloud storage and aligns storage costs with data value.
Unitrends backup provides a simple, centralized management hub that acts as a command center for data storage and recovery.
- Unitrends utilizes AI-based ransomware detection and predictive analytics to monitor data characteristics and alert administrators of ransomware attacks in real time.
Security features in Unitrends allow users to meet compliance requirements.
To integrate Storj with Unitrends, you will need to create S3 credentials in Storj to be used for Unitrends. Those credentials will need to be added within the Unitrends appliance through their web-based interfae.
- An active Storj account
- A bucket for Unitrends in your Storj instance
- A Unitrends appliance
Create a Bucket
Once you have your Storj account, create a Storj bucket for Unitrends following the steps below. This is the bucket that Unitrends will access.
1. Navigate to “Buckets” on the left side menu.
2. Click “New Bucket” on the top right.
3. Assign the bucket an easily identifiable name, such as "unitrends".
4. Select “Continue”.
5. Generate a passphrase or enter your own.
6. Select “Continue”.
7. Record the passphrase somewhere safe.
Remember your passphrase as you will need it for future access of your data. Storj is unable to recover your passphrase for you.
You will need to generate S3 credentials for Unitrends to access your bucket in Storj. S3 credentials consist of an access key, secret key, and endpoint. You will need to store them somewhere safe, as they cannot be recovered.
Create S3 credentials in the Storj web console:
- Navigate to “Access” on the left side menu
- Click “Create S3 Credentials” under the S3 Credentials block.
3. When the Create Access screen comes up, set specifications according to the following guidelines:
- Type: S3 Credentials
- Name: The name of the credentials (e.g. unitrends)
- Permissions: All
- Buckets: Feel free to specify the bucket you created above (e.g. unitrends), or leave as “All”
4. Check the "Encryption Information" pop-up message that says, "By generating S3 credentials, you are opting in to server-side encryption". The click "Continue".
5. Select your passphrase encryption from either the "Generate Passphrase" or "Create My Own Passphrase" options. This is the passphrase used to access the files in your bucket.
6. You can then click one of the "Copy to Clipboard" or "Download .txt" options.
7. Check the message to acknowledge that you have read it: "I understand that Storj does not know or store my encryption passphrase. If I lose it, I won't be able to recover files."
8. Click the "Create My Access" button.
9. Your S3 credentials are created. Write them down and store them, or click the "Download .txt" button. You will need these credentials for the following steps.
Cloud storage must be added to the Unitrends by adding the cloud storage option through the Unitrends system manager. Manage the system using the web-based interface at one of the following:
Note: a cloud storage bucket can only be connected to one Unitrends appliance.
Follow the steps below to complete the integration:
1. On the initial Unitrends setup screen, check the Use an NTP Server option. Then select Next.
2. In the Unitrends dashboard, select Configure > Backup Copy Targets > Add Target.
3. From the drop-down menu, select Cloud.
4. In the Storage Details window, fill out the appropriate connection data:
- Select Wasabi as the cloud storage provider from the Cloud Storage drop-down menu.
- In the Storage Path field, enter the name of your bucket for Unitrends in your Storj account. In this demo, we named the bucket "unitrends."
- Enter the endpoint address in the Wasabi Region field. This will be: gateway.storjshare.io.
- Enter the access key in the Access Key ID field.
- Enter the secret key in the Secret Key field.
- If desired, check the box next to the Specify Purging Threshold field. This sets a size limit for your cloud archive storage. Enter a number in gigabytes for the limit. If no purging threshold is specified, there is no limit to the amount of data the appliance can archive to the cloud storage.
5. Select Confirm to complete setting up your Storj account to Unitrends.
To view your Storj cloud storage, select Archive > Media. You can manually click the scan icon to scan your Storj bucket for new media if it doesn't appear to be happening automatically.
Now you can archive backups to your cloud storage. See Archiving backups to the cloud reference documentation on the Unitrends website for more information.